This course is designed for you if you who would like to work within a health and social care organisation and you will have an emphasis on the working practices of a variety of health and social care services. A significant focus is placed on the skills required for effective communication, self-development and career progression. If you are looking to pursue a career in the health and social care sector or you are currently employed in a health or care setting or related environment and wish to combine work with study to develop your skills and knowledge to enhance your career prospects, then this may be the course for you.
Whilst studying on the course you can have the use of first class facilities at Macclesfield College including a private members gym (Lifestyle Fitness). The course will draw on a range of industry links and local employers to provide you with extensive health and social care experience. Live work placements are offered during the programme to provide direct industry experience in an area of your choice, developing and enhancing your employment prospects.
You will typically have one of the following;
• A BTEC Level 3 or other Level 3 qualification in a related subject with at least one merit in the final grade profile
• A minimum of 2 A Levels with one in a related subject at grade C or above
• Access to HE with relevant options
• Extensive relevant work experience - mature learners who have extensive work experience and/or professional qualifications in a related industry are welcome to apply
If you do not hold GCSE maths and English at grade C or above then it is strongly recommended that you study these before starting on a Higher National programme, both to support your study and to allow you to progress to university*.
You will study a total of sixteen units throughout the two years of the course. Six mandatory units will provide a general foundation and ten specialist units will introduce you to particular topic in more depth.
HNC units will include:
• 1 Communicating in Health and Social Care Organisations
• 2 Principles of Health and Social Care Practice
• 3 Health and Safety in the Health and Social Care Workplace
• 4 Personal and Professional Development in Health and Social Care (to include a work placement of a minimum of 200 hours)
• 5 Working in Partnership in Health and Social Care
• 7 Social Policy
• 8 The Sociological Context of Health and Social Care
• 9 Empowering users of Health and Social Care Services
HND units will include:
• 16 Understanding Specific Needs in Health and Social Care
• 19 Contemporary Issues in Health and Social Care
• 20 Supporting Independent Living
• 21 Supporting Significant Life Events
• 24 Understanding the Learning Process
• 27 Managing Quality in Health and Social Care
• 28 Work Based Experience
• 6 Research Project
Assessment activities have been carefully designed alongside additional self-stude/work-place study outside your taught sessrions to make up a total of 21 hours per week on average.
The HNC is for one academic year which can be followed by the HND for a further academic year. You will be expected to attend lectures at Macclesfield College for a minimum of 12 hours each week with additional work placements.
Follow up courses/Progression
You can apply to university to complete a degree in a related subject; entry to the degree may be at year 2 or year 3 dependent upon the university and degree programme. This course may also help you to gain employment in a range health and social care based careers.
You will be advised in the interview for any additional requirements.
Course information code: HSC-03-17