You will gain the knowledge, understanding and skills required for employment or progression to a BA (Honours) Degree. The skills and knowledge you develop will enable you to meet the changing needs of the marketplace and the challenges in working in a fast moving industry. This programme is structured to allow you to develop a broad understanding of the hospitality business and event management activities.
The course is aimed at anyone who wishes to move into or is currently in employment within the events, hospitality or travel and tourism industries who seek to broaden their skills and knowledge improving their current job role or promotion prospects. It would also suit people who are looking to find employment within the industry or wish to study more locally for a higher education qualification.
The programme will develop a range of skills, techniques and personal qualities such as resourcefulness, entrepreneurship, communication and business skills essential for successful performance in the hotel and event management industry. You will take part in a guaranteed three month work placement and you are actively encouraged to gain employment within the industry from the outset.
You will need to be in some form of employment (albeit not necessarily paid) as many of the units will draw on your experience in the workplace.
You will typically have one of the following;
• A BTEC Level 3 or other Level 3 qualification in a related subject with at least one merit in the final grade profile
• A minimum of 2 A Levels with one in a related subject at grade C or above
• Access to HE with relevant options
• Extensive relevant work experience - mature learners who have extensive work experience and/or professional qualifications in a related industry are welcome to apply
If you do not hold GCSE maths and English at grade C (Grade 4-5) or above then it is strongly recommended that you study these before starting on a Higher National programme, both to support your study and to allow you to progress to university*.
You must be aged 18 or over to apply and have achieved Maths and English at GCSE Grade A*-C or Functional Skills Level 2.
Following your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
You will complete mandatory and compulsory units from the following;
* The contemporary hospitality industry
* Finance in the hospitality industry
* Research event project
* Hotel operations management
* Rooms division operations management
* Facilities operations and management
You will also complete a guaranteed three month placement.
Both informal and formal assessments take place throughout the course, with main assessments taking place at the end of each semester, in January and May. Work is assessed via portfolio submission. The system is supported by regular tutorials and progress feedback with course staff throughout the year.
The HNC is for one academic year which can be followed by the HND for a further academic year. You will be expected to attend lectures at Macclesfield College for a minimum of 12 hours each week with additional work placements.
Follow up courses/Progression
You can apply to university to complete a degree in a related subject; entry to the degree may be at year 2 or year 3 dependent upon the university and degree programme.
On successful completion of this course you may wish to;
• Move into employment within the industry such as supervisory management or management positions
• Progress to a top-up course at university and convert your qualification to a BA (Honours) Degree
Course information code: HOS-01-17