When you complete the course successfully in all three parts you will gain the widely recognised NEBOSH National General Certificate.
There are no specific requirements for this course. However, the course is most suited to people who are currently involved with Health and Safety at work. We also recommend an advisory interview.
This course is an examined qualification designed to help you as a non-specialist discharge more effectively your duties or functions in workplace health and safety. The study units are given a practical bias and will relate as much as possible to the health and safety experiences and needs of the course members.
Identifying and Controlling Hazards NGC2
• Machinery hazards and guarding systems
• Manual and mechanical lifting
• Maintenance work
• Construction, demolition and excavation
• Scaffolding and access equipment
• Preventing and fighting fires
• Industrial hygiene – hazardous substances and health risks, control measures and safe working practices
• Noise and other environmental factors
• Personal protective equipment
• Ergonomics and the workplace
• First aid
Management of Health and Safety NGC1
• The Health and Safety at work Act 1974
• Monitoring safety in the workplace
• Risk assessment and safe systems of work
• Permits to work
• The working environment – workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992
• Training and Education
• Effective workplace communication
• Safety and health information
• Accident causation and prevention
• Accident investigation and reporting
• Law and enforcement
• Provisions of HASAWA
• Use practical approaches to managing safety at work
• Avoid costly injuries or ill health to employees
• Ensure compliance with the law
• Anticipate risks and deal with them
• Analyse problem areas including accident statistics
• Identify priorities for action
• Succeed in reducing losses to the business
This course will give you an excellent grounding in the fundamentals of occupational safety and health management.
The syllabus is divided into two parts – each part is examined by written papers.
NGC1 Management of Safety and Health
NGC2 Identifying and Controlling Hazards
NGC3 this is the practical observation exam
Practical assessment (Hazard analysis and risk assessment) under examination conditions.
You may wish to progress onto another Health and Safety course for example the NEBOSH Diploma.
A syllabus checklist will be provided. We recommend that you buy one of the following text books, prior to the start of the course to support your studies –
The study book for NEBOSH National General Certificate Essential Health and Safety Guide
ISBN 1900 420 686 or Introduction to health and Safety at work Ferret and Hughes ISBN 9780750666237 2nd edition.
Course information code: 0900